Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Vivian's Tapsi at Bulaluhan


“Bulalo is a light colored soup that’s made rich by cooking beef shanks and beef marrow bones for hours, until much of the collagen and fat has melted into the clear broth. The seasonings vary from chef to chef with some using only salt and black pepper while other variations call for patis (fish sauce), bay leaves or even garlic. But at its core, Bulalo a simple cattleman’s stew, best made in a large cauldron with whatever (vegetables) are growing near by.” – by Marc Matsumoto, the author of No Recipes: Cooking is More Fun Without Them.

Tapsi ni Vivian at Bulaluhan, tagged by Spot.ph as "the best bang for your buck bulalohan". Let's see, shall we?








Complimentary broth


Beef Tapa

Bulalo




I've only had "bulalo" from Tagaytay and Batanggas, and ofcourse,  from our home sweet home in Pampanga.. and for me, it has always been good. That familiar feeling.. one sip of this simple but flavorful soup stock always gives me comfort and brings me back to my childhood when my mom would cook bulalo whenever one of us got sick...and yes, It was never "chicken soup" for the soul, but bulalo it was... for it cured my worries and sickness away, or so I believe. I guess that was what I was expecting from Vivian's, but to my dismay, the broth was seriously lacking in flavor and substance, or maybe because it wasn't what I was used to? I guess the consolation price was that it still had a better part of marrow left in it.
Moving on... to the TAPA, it was good! Not the usual too sweet or too salty tapas out there.  It was tender and milky but not sweet, cured just the way i like it. =)


TAPSI NI VIVIAN AT BULALUHAN 
Project 3, Quezon City


No comments:

Post a Comment