Thursday, November 17, 2011

Toro Restaurant & Bar

TORO in Japanese refers to "tuna" and in Spanish refers to "bull", thus the logo of the bull's horn. In my opinion, Toro is more of a Japanese restaurant finished with a Mexican twist. Not entirely fusion, I should say, just with a different spin.
This is our first time to experience a degustation, you are probably thinking why we're having our "first" degustation experience in a Japanese restaurant. Actually, I was able to chance upon this on Deal Grocer. I thought that a 12-course meal for about P900/head was a good deal. So before we get to the food, I'd like to explain what "degustation" is... A degustation is a tasting/sampling menu. Essentially a number of courses in small portions that feature the chef's signature dishes.

(*pardon the photos. I'm trying my best to tinker with my camera haha and obviously, I have been unsuccesful!)





Salt, Pepper, Togarashi
Salmon Nigiri

Toro Maki
Volcano Maki
Nori Chos- crispy seaweed with salsa - >it's like nachos made Japanese style.
Crispy Rice with Spicy Tuna
Age Dashi Tofu with a sweet soy glaze <---i enjoyed this a lot! one of my new favorites!
Ebi Tempura Tartare -- hmmm, why call it tartare if it's not raw?
Pork Gyoza with a sweet creamy bacon sauce and salsa
Salmon in Caper Sauce 
Spicy Beef Bowl
Turtle Pie
Butterfinger Dessert Shot
a good cup of jo

Sadly, we didn't get to finish all that. J didn't even make it to the salmon and the beef bowl. Our tummies were filled despite the small servings. The rice from all the sushi we had was just too heavy for the stomach, and we got to a point that we just gave up ("naumay") because every dish that went out tasted the same. Although most of it was good, (It was suppose to be the chef's best dishes after all...) We thought the pairing of flavors from every course did not work. It failed to introduce a different experience for the palate and the senses as everything just about tasted the same. I wish they put more effort and creativity in putting up elements in the degustation  menu.
I looked up their ala carte menu and was not surprised to see that the items are quite pricey. Given the ambiance and the restaurant's cool interiors, and the fusion thing going on, one would certainly not expect for food prices to be cheap. I still think it's worth a try. =)



Toro Restaurant & Bar
Unit 6, Ground Floor One McKinley Place
4th Avenue between 25th and 26th street (Located behind Mini Cooper showroom)
Bonifacio Global City
www.dinetoro.com


No comments:

Post a Comment